Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Q and not U

A new 2009 mission - to make one favorite album post a month. I've done it before, so I'll try to post only certain special albums this time around. I figure I would start with one of the best DC post punk albums released in the 00's. Originally released on Dischord in late 2002, These three boys put together one heck of a sophomore album after losing their original bass player and forth member. Different Damage hit me at a perfect time in my life. I was looking for a little spastic freakout, slight political leaning punk with intricate and interesting sounds filling everything out. Between their first album and this one - they released a single for Soft Pyramids, which included a B-side... a different version of the second song on this album "So Many Animal Calls" called "Ten Thousand Animal Calls". I like both versions of the song (they're nowhere near the same song) so I decided to include the B-side to this album, giving it a strong stomper of an opener, as apposed to opening with Soft Pyramids. If you are unfamiliar with Q and not U, start with this powerhouse of an album - then go back and dive into the other two albums and few EP's. You won't be sorry you did.

Q and not U - Different Damage

No comments: