Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'm an old man

Up until my 30th birthday I was pretty much strictly an indie/punk music listen to-er. I generally stayed away from anything too mainstream. (Except for George Michael. For some reason I have always enjoyed Wham! and George Michael...gay.) Recently I started getting into music that sounds closer to what mainstream is (though I have also found it's hard to define mainstream music that isn't rap or garbage alternative rock).
However, staying with my current belief that 2008 is the NEW BRITISH INVASION - I have just recently found this 19 year old soul-pop star Adele. She's got a great voice and a cool style, similar to that of Amy Winehouse, but more controlled.
04.Cold Shoulder - Adele

2 comments:

Edison Girard said...

Amy Winehouse? How about Duffy?
..Ok, she's Welsh (like Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Super Furry Animals), but she strikes a similar chord, no?
I've been digging her hit 'Mercy', but that's all I've heard.

blob bladewig said...

There's actually a bunch of those retro new soul girls, both before and Since amy winehouse:

Holly Golightly
Candy Payne
Adele
Duffy
Beth Gibbons (more trip hoppy)
Robyn (poppier)

but even Zooey Daschanel and Scarlette Johansson are taking their own spin on the genre.

I like it.