Friday, June 26, 2009

good friends / better friends

last weekend we had a visit from a couple we knew in Chicago. Two folks we would improvise with here and there, but we weren't the type of friends that would ever hang out together. Chicago's improv community has so many people in it you get associated with people and recognize people because of your common interests, but you only have room for so many close friends. Everyone's busy, most everyone is nice - there are a lot of casual conversations and you keep track of the shows everyone is doing and/or the groups people are a part of, etc. etc.
Joe and Shelby were two people I have known for almost 8 years, but I don't know that I ever had a conversation outside of the improv world. I remember running into Joe at a bus stop and finding out he was a teacher and being surprised. I always imagined him as being more of a sports fan type guy who would work at a bar or at a law firm during the day. I had him pegged all wrong. He is a hilarious guy with a reserved sense of self. Very kind and totally bizzaro (in the best possible way). Shelby I knew from the Playground. Her team and the team I coached would often play together, so I got to have improv conversations with her and became pretty close friends with a few of her teammates. She and I would say hello when we saw each other, but we weren't the type of friends who would invite each other over for a slumber party.
Well the four of us had a slumber party when Joe & Shelby passed through Portland on their honeymoon. It was nice getting to know them a little better and to play with them at our theater. Good luck on your two month journey around the country on your honeymoon, guys. Please come back again!

AWIOYLC Competition - Joe Burton from Curious Comedy on Vimeo.

2 comments:

sarah + john said...

Bobby! I've tried three different e-mails and a Twitter account to reach you - I have something to share! Find me, find me, find me! xoxo Sss.

Walking Into Pictures said...

This is awesome. Great job Joe and Bob.