Sunday, March 16, 2008

new music

I got some new music over the past week and I'm surprised by what I like.
First of all, I am a big fan of this band:

And I was excited to hear that they were working on a new album. THIRD is the name of it. For their previous two studio albums Portishead had really good beats, interesting sounds and samples, but on THIRD they're a little lacking. I'm hoping it's not mastered so all the levels are off... we'll see once it's officially released.

Then there's these guys:

I was a fan of their first album two years ago. It got a lot of play immediately and then it got to be too much. I was hoping they would be stepping it up for their second album, but no such luck. Simple beats, simple structures all around. It's not terrible, but there is no new ground cover on this sophomore album. Odd Couple...

And the big surpirse:

Holy Crap. I enjoy Jamie Lidell's debut album Multiply. Wasn't crazy about it, but I listen to it every now and again and find myself bobbing my head to it... but JIM - I'm amazed by the sound he has developed. Jamie Lidell has officially crossed over into Motown territory. Smooth and soulful with plenty of handclaps, jazz piano and backup singers to make it sound like Barry Gordy was lending a helping hand in the creation of this album. It's not my usual cup o' tea... but I really love it.

No comments: