Thursday, April 10, 2008

List of lame music

I find myself at work being forced to listen to the music on a random playlist.
While I'm free to add music to the playlist (which I do almost more than everyone else) I am forced to listen to the music other people enjoy. I try to be fair and add music that will not annoy my coworkers. Some of it tests the boundaries, but most of it is safe.
I am attempting to compile a list of specific songs (or bands) that take all motivation out of me because of how lame the music they create is.
The top of that list is
Wilco.
I used to not mind the song Heavy Metal Drummer, but it seems lately even that makes me think of interesting ways of killing myself.
Second on the list is
any solo Jeff Tweedy stuff. At times, it's worse than Wilco and I didn't know he has so much shit recorded for the superfans that live in my office.
Third - Tom Petty.
Anything after the Running Down the Dream album, whatever the hell that was called.
Since then he has become the middle-aged man's dream of lame music.
Forth - the goddamn Fruit Bats
Jesus fucking Christ, this band has one sound and all their lame songs are that one sound. We have two albums by this band in our soundsystem, so their are over twenty of the same song by these Lame Captains. Ugh.
Fifth - Gigolo Aunts
Come On.
Gigolo Aunts? Really?
I saw them open for somebody in High School. Even then I knew they were lame. They haven't gotten any better with age.

All this Lame is slowly killing me.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Sometimes I find myself apologizing to people for my music tastes, and then I remember they're not you and I think, oh yeah, all the music pretension in Chicago moved to Portland. ALL OF IT. I heart you, Bob.

blob bladewig said...

You're damn right it did.
In my office we have an iTunes server where everyone is free to put playlists together and play over the soundsystem for everyone to enjoy.

I am trying my hardest to train everyone in the difference between good music and lame music.

This being the West coast and people being a little slower/lazier - it's going to take more time... but it will be done.

mark my words.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

It could be worse, sir. I've worked in places where the acceptable soundtrack was the local Lite FM. Of course, I was working at the local Lite FM Station at the time, but that is neither here nor there.

Also, thank you for changing your font color. I didn't want to be the guy who whined about it, but good Lord.

blob bladewig said...

Yeah, it took me a while to realize I shouldn't have to strain my eyes to read what I'm posting.

It doesn't show up that way while I'm typing it.

AND -
I realize it could be a lot worse with the music here, but overall - the majority of people in my office (23 people total) have pretty good taste in music (my standards) but two of the higher-ups who like to control the music LOVE country-tinged alt-rock like Wilco and Uncle Tupelo - so I am forced to listen to that lameo stuff way too often.

I'm complaining only because I can.
I realize it could be a lot worse.