Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Le Scaphandre et le Papillon

the Diving Bell & the Butterfly
I watched this movie for the first time last night. I say first time because I know it's something I will watch many more times. It is easily one of the most beautiful, unique and creative movies I've seen in some time. I can call it a Michel Gondry film based in reality. Director Julian Schnabel is an artist first. He has made two other films, each a biography of artists. Basquiat and Before Night Falls. Here in Le Scaphandre et le Papillon(Original title in French) he tells the true story of Jean-Dominique Bauby, a high society editor of Elle magazine, who suffered a stroke at the age of 43 -leaving him completely paralyzed save his left eye. A couple of speech/communication therapists devise a way to communicate and with blinking, he is able to hold true to his publishing deal he worked out before the stroke.
It's quite an inspirational (and unbelievable) story, shot beautifully. I recommend it to everyone.

No comments: