Saturday, July 26, 2008

album spotlight: The Ache

We Ragazzi-the ache
Released November 19, 2002 - I first heard this album in early 2003. The first reaction is to lead singer/songwriter Tony Rolando's voice. He shrieks, he yelps and his voice is nasally, but once you get over it (or get used to it) you begin to start to hear how amazing this album is. It's certainly not for everyone, but it has stuck with me for over five years and I still can't get over how much ache this album contains. This is the best make out album ever created. It has a unique sound, is very creative and it's fucking sexy.
Both this band and album never made much of a splash. Lucky for me they all lived in Chicago when this album came out - so I got to see them play live a bunch. Soon after this album (their second of three) was released, the new drummer (Timothy McConville) moved to New York and they reunited with their original drummer Alianna Kalaba.
Of their three records, The Ache is the one that I return to the most, whether that's because of the intricate and smooth drumming, or the style and swagger, I'm not sure.
But here, in late 2002 the trio of We Ragazzi created a somewhat unknown masterpiece of guitar/keyboard/drums No Wave Make Outs

1 comment:

sarah + john said...

I feel the same way about this album and still listen to it quite a bit. There's something really magnetic about it; I should remind my friends how good it is...