Thursday, September 18, 2008

bound stems

My dear friend Crescent works with a member of the band Bound Stems in Chicago.
I had heard a lot about the band while living there. They have a pretty good size following and play a fair amount of shows around town. For one reason or another I never spent the time to get to know them/their music and I'm now kind of kicking myself.
Crescent (and Janie, thank you both) sent me a copy of the latest Bound Stems album titled The Family Afloat and it's great.
There's a lot of music comparisons that can be made. Lead singer Bobby Gallivan has a Win Butler meets Daniel Smith voice while the instrumentation is all over the board of indie rock. These songs build and tell interesting stories. Take a listen...
happens to us all otherwise or better yet, buy the album: bound stems / flameshovel website