Sunday, September 7, 2008

the first 2/3's of 2008

The old man in me wants to say, "I can't believe 2008 is 2/3's over already" - but I'm trying to act younger, so I won't say it. A lot of good music has come out this year.
I've been attempting to keep track of it all to make my Best Of list in December a little easier to create.
Here are some stand out albums that have already been (or are soon to be) released this year:
Moscow Olympics - cut the world

I enjoy the poppier side of dreampop music that this band from the Phillipines creates. Like a younger sibling of the Jesus & Mary Chain. It's feel-good dreampop music that works. A beautiful (albeit short) indie album.

the Uglysuit - the uglysuit

Remember when Connor Oberst was young and you thought, boy - I hope this kid grows up and becomes less pretentious than he is now at the age of 19 (when he released Fevers & Mirrors)..? Well, that didn't happen (in fact, he only got worse), but the Uglysuit picks up that dream and released a beautiful indie pop record with a similar soul and style to early Bright Eyes. It's lovely.

the Dutchess & the Duke - she's the dutchess and he's the duke
If you're anything like me, you've been wanting to get into the Rolling Stones, but haven't had the time or actual desire to sift through everything they've released to find the good gems you're searching for. I like what I know about them, but they have a large library of music. Lucky for us, The Dutchess & The Duke can point you in the right direction. If you're looking for dirty, bluesy garage rock, this band is your saving grace.

Wild Beasts - limbo, panto

Do you like your music unique and weird? Do you like your lead singer to have a voice you really have to dig into to really appreciate (before it annoys you too much)? The Wild Beasts are for you. A wonderful, challenging album from a quirky british quartet who don't really sound like anything else out there.

Deerhunter - microcastle

This album has been released digitally and comes out (physically) next month. I do not like their previous album Cryptograms at all, but the Flourescent Grey EP was a little bit better. Microcastle blows me away. I'm glad to finally see what it is everyone has been goo-goo-ga-ga over Deerhunter about. This album needs to be bought.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Who am I to recommend music to you? A Rolling Stones fan, that's who! Check out Beggar's Banquet and Their Satanic Majesties Request. Those include my two fave Stones songs of all time, "Sympathy for the Devil" and "She's a Rainbow" respectively.

I'm ok. Just ok. Leaving for Detroit October 3.