Sunday, October 5, 2008

Originals or Covers?

Sometimes I prefer the covers of songs over the originals.
Sometimes bands do their take on the exact same version of the original song.
Sometimes they change it up completely and bring new life to it.
Last night, during my show - there's a sketch in which I listen to my iPod on stage.
It's probably better if I don't actually have music playing while the buds are in my ears, but I chose to listen to this song:
Green Grass - Tom Waits
It made me think of the Scarlett Johannson cover of it:
Green Grass - Scarlett Johansson

I like them both, but the original is probably the way it should be heard.

1 comment:

Edison Girard said...

I feel the same way about covers.
Sometimes they stand on their own aside from the orignal, as good as the original may be.
I have a couple of great tribute CDs that I'm very fond of.

Speaking of Tom Waits; I'll email you an mp3 of Waits live cover of James Brown's "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag."

It's a bootleg recording, but it's still impressive.